5 Aug 2007

Track 5 - Turn

I want to sing,
to sing my song
I want to live in a world where I'll be strong
I want to live,
I will survive
and I believe that it won't be very long.


I'd forgotten what it was to fit into a song. All I'd done so far was to try and express what they meant to me. But today, it is more about how it fits.

Travis feels like such a familiar band after 7 years listening to them. Some might think them boring, some may think they are fading away into the same old stuff that made them big (yes, I've heard a lot of comments on that). The truth is, I don't think they are here for reinventing themselves with every record. I think they are so authentic, that they still feel confident in writing and playing the way they've always done.

Don't miss out their newest stuff... If you were of the ones to love the wrist-slashing-cloudy-scottish sound of "The Man Who" or "The Invisible Band"... you're sure to get more on "The Boy With No Name".

Back in 2000, when I heard Turn, it was all about me wanting to eat the world in a bite. Now, it is all about swallowing.
And Fran's shout for "wanting to live, to sing and to survive" sounds so more desperate than ever.
What do you want out of turning? Cos, let's be honest, it goes beyond the actual turning of things in your life. Of course, that is a step in itself and deserves its merit. But, once you turn... where do you go?

Tough little song we got here.
And I am not going to ramble on the structure or the lovely sound o
f the guitar. Not this time. Cos most of you've heard it enough and need no advice on further listening of it.
This time I just want to state the fact that rediscovering a song and fitting it into your life, gives a turn to it (...speaking of turning, ha!). I did have a story for this song... about how it came to me and how I embraced it. But the present has shadowed the memory. And I wonder if that effect takes place in other aspects of life.

"We've got to turn", sings Fran. Yes, indeed.
I need to turn. I just don't know where yet.

Still, I believe it won't be very long before I do.

Just listen away please...
Cheers.




No comments: